Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Me and Korea, it's a love-hate thing.

Some days I really like it here. Maybe even love it. The people are pretty nice, I have a good job, it's cheap to live here--most days I feel this way. Oh, and let's not forget that it's damn cheap to travel around Asia. Who wouldn't love it?

Then there are those days when I hate it, loathe it with such passion that I just want to pack up and go home. However, most of it is not really Korea's fault, per se--well, except for the whole squat toilet thing. (Go read this person's R-rated take on Korean toilets: Lousy Korea) On these "Korea must be the 8th layer of Hell" days, it's more because I'm missing family/friends, or because I'm sick of not understanding the language, or one too many people opted to walk straight into me rather around me on the sidewalk/subway/in E-Mart.

It's partly America's fault for spoiling me with such fantastic food. America's the melting pot--therefore, Greeks make Greek food, Italians make Italian food, Mexicans make Mexican food... you get the idea. In Korea, Koreans make Mexican food, Greek food, Italian food... so it's all Korea-fied. It's always just a little too sweet, or a little too bland, or just plain wrong. I think that's what I really miss. To get any really good food (because, let's face it, Korean food sucks), I have to be willing to spend copious amounts of money--and even then there's no guarantee. I already spend too much money on coffee everyday and the gym, isn't that enough? What more do you want from me?? All I'm asking for is a decent Gosh Darn taco! (Speaking of which, Taco Bell is opening in Seoul in May--3 glorious floors! I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.)

So, basically, what I'm saying is that sometimes I love Korea, sometimes I hate Korea. I really don't mind being here all that much. (It's gotten infinitely better since I mastered using a squat toilet while keeping my pants on.) I'm not counting down the days until going home (yet) so that's good, right?

And now for your viewing pleasure:


The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Korea in Your Kitchen
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com