Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

I'm pat, yo.

I've been talking with my co-teacher a bit about a couple of kids that I think might really be a bit on the slow side, and not just when it comes to Englishee. One kid, whose English name is Dree (I have no idea what it's from), tends to stutter a lot and he always speaks just a little too loudly. He also doesn't always catch when we're moving on to something different.


Tonight I was teaching about superlatives and everyone was making "So-and-so is the blahblahest in the class" statements. A couple of kids said, "The teacher is the fattest in the room," to which I kindly told them that's not very nice and they should think of something different. A couple of minutes later, Dree starts shouting, "TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! 


I was in the midst of helping other students and I couldn't just stop and give him the same exact speech, but he wouldn't shut up. TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! 


I was trying to get his attention so he'd snap out of it... "Dree? Dree? DREE!" Still nothing but TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! TEACHER EESH DA PATTESHT! 


Of course by this time the other students were trying to tell him to stop talking too, but nothing worked. Finally I just stood right in front of him, knelt down, and firmly said, "Dree! STOP! TALKING!" And that was that. I saw a look of confusion flash across his face, then he just smiled. It was like he literally was just stuck on repeat, but didn't even realize what he was doing. I don't know. 


Then he wrote a story where I was the angriest monkey. I was just happy he spelled "angriest" correctly.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com