Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Give me all your kimchi, or I'll shoot.

[I actually wrote this a few days ago, but I forgot to add it here.]

Recently, a Korean Navy ship mysteriously exploded and sunk (right now suspicions are on North Korea) in the Yellow Sea. Only 58 out of 104 crew members were rescued. Therefore, one of the largest cherry blossom festivals in Korea was cancelled in honor of it; this sucks because we were actually going to go.

Also, recently, a Korean-operated ship was hijacked by Somali pirates (Damn pirates!). I normally don't comment on Korean news, because I really just don't care. However, I was reading some random blog and the guy was talking about how some Koreans seem to think the pirates were directly targeting Korea, not just any old ship that happened to be passing by. This, of course, is because Somali pirates are so discriminatory with their piracy and all. Whatever. Anyway. Onward to my point.

A lot of foreigners in Korea have this problem with Korea as a whole. Koreans have so much pride, straight up down and dirty nationalism, that anything that happens to Korea is because the world is working against them. Now, I'm not saying that I share this view--again, I don't pay enough attention to the news to really form an opinion on this matter. But it does seem as if most foreigners believe this; and not through any of their own research. Nope, it's only because some other foreigner on some website said so.

And they're the first to accuse Koreans of acting like a bunch of sheep!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com