Pages

Monday, April 13, 2009

You've Seen One, You've Seen Them All

I'm in Starbucks trying to do some lesson planning for my classes tomorrow--however, I've been much more successful at checking Facebook and reading reviews on a book I just finished (Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult). 
People in the US or wherever might make fun of Starbucks because every store is so cookie-cutter, but let me tell you--whoever decided that was a good thing was extremely smart. When I worked at Starbucks, I learned during my training that Starbucks' goal is to make their stores the "third place". Basically, every person spends the majority of their time at home, work/school, and that elusive "third place"; Starbucks wants to be that place, a place you can relax away from the hustle and bustle of home and work. 
Well, I've discovered another wonderful thing about the cookie-cutter store--even when I'm thousands of miles from home, I can come to Starbucks and be back in Birmingham. The music, the drinks, the colors, the furniture--it's all the same. I must say, their food is much better than what I've had in Birmingham. Now I'm also listening online to Live 100.5, and I almost think I'm not in Korea (except when I look up and realize I'm surrounded by Koreans. But, you know, that's just a minor detail.). The stores here are also HUGE. I just counted about 45 tables, and there are more in the front of the store that I can't see. Luckily, I have to walk about 20 minutes to get to Starbucks, so don't worry, I'm not spending all my money on coffee :) 
Later, gators.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christina - I love your posts. They are awesome! You made my day! I am glad you find American comfort in Starbucks! Hope Marc is good! We love ya!

Auntie L said...

Christina, Christina, you make me laugh! Can't wait for next installment. Go into writing business.
Innocents Abroad?....

oxxo

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com