Monday, February 16, 2009

Day 1: SLEEP!

So I finally made it to my destination in Seoul, South Korea. Here's how the story unfolds... My sister and dad drove me and Elliot to Atlanta on Friday morning (see them at the airport? It only took 3 tries to get that picture); we left Birmingham around 5am CST and arrived in Atlanta right around 9am EST. My plane left Atlanta at 11:55am Friday the 13th (cue eerie music) and arrived in Seoul at 5pm Saturday (Korea time). Korean Air, by the way, is freaking AMAZING. Aside from the snacks, beverages, and meals, there were screens in the back of every headrest with a variety of television, movies, games, etc. to choose from. I watched "The Secret Life of Bees", "Babylon A.D.", and "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist" when I wasn't sleeping. The headphones were free (!) and they handed out little pouches containing socks, an eye mask, a toothbrush and toothpaste, and a little lanyard-type thing to go around your neck (I'm not sure exactly what this was supposed to hold). Since I actually did sleep for the majority of the flight, I only recall two incidents worth mentioning. There was an Army family on the plane, and just after the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign came on and the plane was taxi-ing down the runway, the father decides to get up from his seat and dig around in the overhead bin for his luggage. As I observed this, I thought to myself, "Hmm, this guy is either slightly stupid, or just isn't used to actually having to stay seated during this part of a flight (being military and all)." All of a sudden, 2 flight attendants--1 male and 1 female--tackle him from either side and haul him back to his seat. Now when I say tackle, I literally mean TACKLE. The male attendant ran and grabbed him around the waist while the female attendant grabbed his arms. It was pretty awesome, I must say--even more so considering the 2 Koreans were significantly smaller than the Army guy. The second incident wasn't so much an "incident" as it was an observation. I was sitting in the aisle seat of a 3-seat section and a Korean man had the window seat (no one between us). I am certain that some questionable activities were going on because every few hours another Korean man from 1st Class would come get the man next to me along with his bag and they would both go back to 1st Class. My neighbor would return sans bag maybe 5-10 minutes later. Maybe it's just me looking for some drama, but that seemed awfully suspicious. So anyway, after the plane FINALLY landed and I picked up Elliot and my luggage (all 9845745 bags that I brought), we found Marc--yay! We then proceeded to take a bus from the airport to Shinchon, where we were meeting Andy from the school who would show us to the motel and where I needed to go for training. We sat near 3 very nice Koreans who were in love with Elliot, although one girl jumped back every time he yawned--I guess she thought he was going to bite her. When we made it to the motel around 7pm, I crashed--Marc woke me up around 11 (I think) because he was going to go to McDonald's and get dinner, and then I promptly fell asleep again after I finished eating and woke up around 9:30 the next morning... EDIT: I planned on posting more pictures with this post, but for some reason this computer in my room will not let me upload any more pictures. The system is all in Korean so I can't read the error message :( I'll try again later on when I can get internet on my MacBook.


Auntie L said...

yay you're there. I have been thinking of you both a lot and I am so happy to hear of the reunion.


PS: nice story telling christina.

Auntie L said...

to marc:
are you ready for your birthday on 26th? have you decorated your birthday tree?


Leslie said...

Hey there you guys! I was just sitting here on the couch thinking about you both! Happy early Birthday to you Marc! Do you guys need anything from over here? Miss you both!


Blog Template by